After You Have Been Admitted
Welcome to Rice University!
Download the New Student Checklist
OwlSpace for New Students: News and Chat for Incoming Graduate Students
Rice Administrative Offices
Use this checklist to plan for your arrival to Rice. Many of your questions will be answered on the OwlSpace site for new students, but please feel free to email your department coordinator if you have additional questions.
Know Your Policies
- Check for required trainings that you can take care of before you begin work as a graduate student (these must be completed by the stated deadlines, or holds may be placed on both pay and registration). Students will not be able to register for a second semester until these trainings have been completed.
- Read more about University Policies and Required Trainings on the new student OwlSpace tab.
Take Care of Your Health and Safety
Take Care of Your Academic Life
- Make plans to attend orientation. The Graduate Orientation is mandatory for all Fall incoming students (excluding MBA and MLS students). The event will be held on Wednesday, August 21, 2013. There is not a general orientation for Spring admits. Spring admits should check with your department coordinator for matriculation information.
- Request that your previous institution send your department coordinator a transcript showing your degree conferred by January 31st (Spring Matriculants) or September 15th (Fall Matriculates). Students will not be able to register for a second semester until your previous degree is verified.
- Registration for all new graduate students in Fall 2013 will take place on Thursday, August 22, 2013 after you have been advised by your department on your planned course of study.
Meet the Graduate Student Association
- Check out their website at http://gsa.rice.edu for helpful resources to help you get ready for life at Rice.
- Read more about GSA events on the new student OwlSpace tab.
- If you would like to register for the housing lottery for graduate students, please visit the website for the Rice Graduate Apartments. The housing lottery usually occurs at the end of May for the following academic year. You can also find out about other housing options in Houston.
- Do you need everything from bookcases to toasters to get settled in your new home? Consider joining the Graduate Student Loan Closet. Registration gives you the privilege of selecting available goods at any time during the year. Items borrowed must be returned to the closet when you no longer need them or when you leave Rice. Learn more on their website: http://gradloancloset.blogs.rice.edu/
- In most cases, by mid May you will receive an Esther login and Email letter from email@example.com to the email address given on your application. Use your student ID number and the unique link in the email to set up your Esther account. This link may only be used once, so be certain to remember your Esther pin after it has been reset. If you have not received your Esther log in letter by the end of May, please contact your department coordinator for assistance.
- Log on to your Rice email and OwlSpace often, this will be our primary means of communication with you.
Take Care of The Rest
- Stay in contact with your department. Your graduate coordinator will be able to help you resolve any of the issues that may arise before and after your arrival.
- Pay your bills via your ESTHER account (the Fall down payment is due August 15th).
Want an easy way to keep up with deadlines and graduate student accomplishments?
Become a fan of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies on Facebook!