Academics | Finance


Graduate stipends are paid semi-monthly through the Rice payroll system. You must be registered full-time (minimum 9 hours per term) for the current semester in which you are receiving pay.

For payroll purposes, the fall semester begins on August 16th, with the first payday on August 31st; the spring semester begins on January 1st, with the first pay date on January 15th. The last pay date for the spring semester is May 13th. For a complete list of pay periods, see the Semi-Monthly Payroll Calendar on the Controller's website.

Consult with your graduate program administrator to confirm any additional new hire information that must be completed in order to receive your stipend. The department must also submit your pay authorization by the payroll deadline.

The following steps must be completed in order for your stipend to be released on the appropriate pay date:

  1. If you will be receiving payment for RA/TA assignments, submit the Employee Eligibility Verification Form (or Form I-9) in person with the Rice Human Resources Office prior to the first day of performing work as a RA or TA.
    • Refer HERE to the list of acceptable documents for completing your I-9. Your documents must be the original documents, copies are not accepted.
    • The Human Resources Office is located in the Cambridge Office Building on the third floor. Visit their website for hours of operation.

Please note: Fellowship recipients are not considered employees; therefore, the I-9 requirement does not apply to them. These individuals will only complete I-9 if they receive an offer letter regarding a Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant position.

  1. Submit a W-4 Form
    • Students have the ability to complete the W-4 form online through their iO account. If a W-4 form is not submitted through the iO account, you will be taxed at the highest rate – single status with zero withholding allowances.
  1. Set up Direct Deposit in iO. Please refer to the job aid found here for instructions.
    • If you do not set up direct deposit, you will be issued a pay card with USA Bank. We no longer process paper checks.
  1. For specific questions, please contact your department’s graduate program administrator.