May 2017 Rice University Doctoral Convocation
Friday, May 12, 2017, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
at Stude Concert Hall at the Shepherd School of Music's
Alice Prat Brown Hall (see campus map)
Doctoral candidates and faculty hooders are asked to arrive in the Shepherd School main hallway at 1:00 p.m. in their regalia. Graduates and faculty will need to have a cap, gown and hood when you arrive for the ceremony. Marshals and staff will be available to assist you in preparation and with the marching order. Faculty hooders will march with and sit next to their first student to be hooded.
If you have not already picked up your previously ordered regalia, please contact the Campus Store at 713-348-2039 for information or arrangements.
Please note that the Doctoral Convocation is in addition to and does not replace the University’s Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 13, 2017. For general information regarding commencement activities see the University website regarding Commencement 2017 (http://www.students.rice.edu/students/Commencement.asp).
Information for Guests: Tickets are required for guests. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis and guests are advised to arrive early. Doors will open at 1:00 p.m., and guests should be seated no later than 1:50 p.m.Additional seating is available on the balcony. There will also be a large video display set up in the foyer for overflow seating. The foyer seating may actually be preferable for guests with young children.
Strollers: Because there will be processions up and down all the aisles, strollers will not be allowed in the downstairs auditorium. They may be parked in the foyer before entering or may be taken by elevator to the balcony seating area.
Webcast: The Doctoral Convocation will be available to watch live at https://commencement.rice.edu/video/doctoral. The ceremony will also be professionally recorded. After commencement, the videographer will contact each graduate at their permanent address on file with the registrar with information about purchasing a recording of the ceremony.
Photography: At the Doctoral Convocation, a photographer will take still photographs of each graduate being hooded and exiting the stage. After commencement, the photographer will contact each graduate at the address on file with the Registrar’s Office with information about how you may purchase photographs, if you wish to.
Format: The format is quite simple. Faculty and students will process into the concert hall. There will be a greeting by Dean Seiichi Matsuda, followed by a welcome speech by University President, David Leebron. Then each graduating student will be called to the front individually, along with his or her advisor. The advisor places the hood over the student’s head. Immediately following the ceremony there will be a reception for students, families, faculty, and friends in the Foyer of Alice Pratt Brown Hall. Please e-mail email@example.com or call 713-348-4002 for more information.
Doctoral Convocation - Hooding Ceremony
Key Points for Doctoral Candidates and Faculty
- Event date: Friday, May 12, 2017
- Arrive at 1:00 p.m. at Stude Concert Hall
- Location: Room 1402, check-in and apparel area
- Please wear your regalia. Marshals and staff will be available to assist in preparation.
- 1:30 p.m. – Assemble into line of march – Look for the Marshals to assist with the line up
- 2:00 p.m. sharp – Ceremony begins
- The hooding advisor will march in and sit next to the first person he/she will hood.
- As names are called by Dean Seiichi Matsuda, the student will precede the hooding advisor as they approach the stage.
- The hooding advisor will stand behind the student on the stage. The student will face the audience as he/she is hooded.
- After being hooded, you will shake Provost George McLendon's hand and exit off the stage, pausing to be photographed with your hooding advisor, and return to your seat.
- Faculty with multiple students to be hooded will be seated on the stage behind the staging guests to wait for their next student. Faculty will exit with their last student to be hooded.
Order of events
Greeting and introduction of platform guests
Hooding of the doctoral candidates
Reception in Foyer of Alice Pratt Brown Hall