Registration Information for Graduate Students
In addition to departmental requirements the following registration rules apply to graduate students at Rice University:
- Students must maintain continuous program involvement and enrollment unless granted an official leave of absence. Failure to register before the registration deadline will result in a de facto withdrawal.
- All full-time graduate students are required to be registered for nine credit hours each semester.
- All part-time students are required to be registered for three credit hours each semester.
- All students are required to register in the semester of their defense. An exception is automatically granted if the defense takes place during the first week of classes and the student was registered during the previous semester.
- Registration for all courses must be complete before the end of the second week of the semester. An exception may be granted only in extenuating circumstances.
- The last day to drop courses is the end of the seventh week of classes. Students must maintain their required course-load. All full-time students must be registered for nine credit hours; all part-time students must be registered for three credit hours. An exception may only be granted in extenuating circumstances.
- The last day to select to audit a course is the end of the second week of the semester.
- Tuition waivers are not available for students registering for non-research summer courses. If you have a question about a particular course, please contact the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- Graduate students may not take a course pass/fail within their own department.
Additional registration requirements may be found in the General Announcements.
Registration Procedures and Information
The Registrar's Office has information for students regarding registration for: