Rice University's Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will offer doctoral application fee waivers for the Fall 2024 admission term to all eligible domestic and international students. This waiver will be available for students worldwide to request at the link here from Oct. 18 - Nov. 1, 2023, or until all available waivers have been issued.
The waiver does not apply to programs in the Jones School of Business.
- A minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent.
- A completed application must be submitted by Nov. 27 at 10:59 p.m. CST; if an application is not submitted by this deadline, payment will be required.
- Test scores (such as GRE, TOEFL, Duolingo, IELTS, etc.) may be submitted after the Nov. 27 deadline, as long as they are submitted by the application deadline.
- Students interested in this program should request an application fee waiver at the form here by Nov. 1 and then complete their Ph.D. application on or before Nov. 27.
Free Fee Waiver Weeks - Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the dates I need to know about for this fee waiver?
This waiver will be available from Oct. 18 - Nov. 1, 2022. A completed application must be submitted by Nov. 27 at 10:59 p.m. CST; if an application is not submitted by this deadline, payment will be required.
- What if I submit my application before Oct. 18?
If you submit your application for graduate study before Oct. 18 but wish to participate in Fee Waiver Weeks, you can. Simply complete the fee waiver weeks form when it opens, and ensure you meet all eligibility requirements. You will be considered for a waiver if you meet eligibility requirements and have completed the form before all waivers have been distributed.
Please note that we cannot process refunds.
- Can I use this waiver for a master's program?
No, this waiver is only for doctoral programs.
- What are the eligibility requirements for the fee waiver?
A minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent A completed application must be submitted by Nov. 27 at 10:59 p.m. CST; if an application is not submitted by this deadline, payment will be required.
Test scores (such as GRE, TOEFL, Duolingo, IELTS, etc.) may be submitted after the Nov. 27 deadline, as long as they are submitted by the application deadline.Students must meet the admissions requirements set by the university, as well as any additional criteria set by your program of application.
- How do I get my waiver code?
Please note that there is no code that you need to enter on your application; your waiver will be tied to the email address you use for your application. If you already have an application in progress with Rice, please use specify that email address on the form below.
- My department of application is also offering a waiver; what's the difference?
The Fee Waiver Weeks program is separate from any waivers offered by your program of application. If you are offered a waiver by your home department, their rules supersede any eligibility requirements listed on this page. For example, the Bioengineering Ph.D. program is offering a blanket waiver for 2024 admission. If you are applying to that program, even you've also requested a waiver through Fee Waiver Weeks, you do not need to adhere to the Nov. 27 application deadline. However, you must submit by the Bioengineering program deadline and follow any guidance they give.
- I don't see my waiver applied. Why?
Please note that you may not see your waiver applied until 48 hours after submitting your application.
- I have already submitted my application; can I get a refund?
We cannot process refunds.
- Can I make changes to the application?
Changes to the application cannot be made after the application is formally submitted; check all details carefully.
- I have a question not addressed by this FAQ.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those interested in doctoral programs at Rice can also visit with specific programs to discuss graduate study, program requirements and life in Houston, Texas. Applicants are also able to visit with current Rice students at one of our upcoming "Coffee Chats" here. More information forthcoming.