How to Apply
Thanks for your interest in graduate study at Rice University! Selecting the right graduate school will greatly influence your professional success. We are so glad you are considering Rice, one of America's leading research universities.
To help you with the application process, we've put together some helpful links. Want to learn more about Rice? Watch the video below!
Programs of Study:
At Rice, graduate study is offered in two broad categories:
- Research-based programs leading to the M.A., M.S., and various doctoral degrees,
- Professional master's programs which provide advanced course work and lead to degrees in specific disciplines.
Graduate programs at Rice usually require full-time study, however, many professional master's programs can be completed on a part-time basis. Check with your department of interest for specifics.
Prospective graduate students apply to Rice through the department in which they wish to study. Each individual department, rather than the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, handles their own application deadline, program specifics, and offers of admission. Read more about our departments and degree programs here.
How to apply:
1. Find your graduate program(s) of interest and submit an interest form. Click here for a listing of schools and departments.
2. Research the cost of study and available financial support. Qualified doctoral students often receive tuition waivers and a generous stipend.
3. Look at our facts and stats on admissions, enrollment and degrees awarded.
4. Learn more about research at Rice.
5. Find out what living in Houston is like.
You will need to:
1. Consult with your program of interest on exact requirements. You may be required to submit some or all of the following:
- Official transcript from previous institution
- $85 application fee*
- Rice waives application fees for doctoral applicants who are graduates of institutions in Texas and bordering states Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico or who have a permanent address in these states. This does not include programs in the Jones School of Business. Other fee waivers granted can be found here.
- GRE or other applicable test scores**
- **For 2022 admissions, Rice generally is not requiring the GRE. However, individual degree programs have the option of recommending, strongly recommending, or requiring the general GRE. Prospective students should check with their program of application for details.
- TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo if international applicant. More information here.
- Letters of recommendation
- Writing samples
- Statement of purpose
2. Read our list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Submit your application:
Submit your application here. Applications generally open on or around September 1. Consult your program of interest for more information.