Take the Cake
What is Take the Cake?
Take the Cake is an event that strives to recognize graduate students and postdocs who have received external grants or fellowships and honor them for their hard work! Students/Postdocs who have won such major awards are able to choose the cake or pie of their choosing, and will receive it from Dean Matsuda in a special event. Students are encouraged to share their cakes with their labs and research groups - and enjoy their sweet rewards! Total calorie count for our Fall 2018 event: 813,976.875. Wow!
Just won an award? Let your administrator know and then fill out the form at the bottom of this page to get your cake!
Which awards are eligible for Take the Cake?
- For graduate students: An external award of $5,000 or more that supports graduate studies or thesis research at Rice. Awards cannot be combined to total $5000.
- For postdocs: An external award of $50,000 or more that supports their research at Rice.
- Received by ANY graduate student – doctoral or masters, domestic or international – or postdoc.
- Honorable mentions for awards that would provide $5000 or more (e.g. NSF GRFP, Ford)
- National or International fellowship competition - The fellowship must be a competition outside of Rice/GCC.
- For example, we consider awards such as (but not limited to) Wagoner, Welch, K2I, GCC, and iGERT as internal. These awards are either governed by Rice faculty/staff, the competitors are primarily Rice students, or the funds reside in Rice accounts. These are ineligible.
Not sure if you're eligible? Email Kate Cross with your award details to find out.
I'm eligible; how do I get my cake?
Current Students: Fill out the form here to let us know that you are eligible for the next Take the Cake event!
Postdocs: Fill out the form here to let us know that you are eligible for the next Take the Cake event!