Special Endowed Fellowships
Three fellowships for continuing students, outlined below, are awarded by departmental nomination once a year in the spring. Graduate Council will evaluate and make determinations on the winners.
Nettie S. Autrey Fellowship
To provide a fellowship for an outstanding graduate student in a field of science (open to any academic area in Natural Sciences or Engineering). One award of $14,000 will be given.
Lodieska Stockbridge Vaughn Fellowship
To provide a fellowship for a graduate student whose record at Rice shows evidence of outstanding achievement and promise. Five awards will be given, one in Social Sciences, one in Humanities, and three in any discipline. Each award will provide a fellowship of $16,750.
NOTE: Graduate Programs may nominate one candidate to be considered for both the Autrey and Vaughn Fellowships. All nominated candidates will be considered for both the Autrey and Vaughn Fellowships.
Mrs. L. F. McCollum Fellowship
To provide a fellowship for graduate students in Architecture and Music. Two awards will be given, one in Architecture and one in Music. Each award will provide a fellowship of $3,250.
For the McCollum Fellowship, each school may either nominate one student for the full award, or two students scheduled to graduate in December, each with an award of $1,625, paid in the fall semester only. Graduate programs submitting multiple candidates for any given fellowship should rank order such candidates. Please address the question of the candidate's appropriateness for the particular fellowship in question, as it is defined in this memo.
Students who are past recipients of one of these fellowships are not eligible for nomination for the same or any other of these fellowships. Graduate Council has stated that preference will be given to candidates who have already started their thesis research.
- Nominations should be sent to the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies for review by the Graduate Council.
- All nominations must be received by the stated deadline. No exceptions will be granted.
- For each graduate program or school, upload a single PDF containing the entire nomination package at the link provided when the application opens.
- The nomination PDF must contain the following items, in order:
- A cover sheet.
- This summary sheet should list the names of the candidates, the number of years that the candidates will have been at Rice at the time the fellowship is granted, a list of the candidates’ previous graduate degrees, and the name of the institutions at which these degrees were earned, and the graduate program’s rank of each candidate. In addition, this sheet should contain a brief (one paragraph) summary of each of the candidates’ research topics.
- For each candidate, include the following material in the single page .pdf:
- A one-page summary written by the candidate, describing his or her research and/or achievements to date
- An unofficial transcript
- The candidate’s C.V.
- A letter of recommendation from the advisor or another faculty member
- A letter of nomination from the department chair, graduate program director, or director of graduate study
- A cover sheet.