In general, applicants should have at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average, or the equivalent, in their undergraduate work.
GRE & GMAT Scores*
Usually, departments at Rice University require scores on the aptitude portion of the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) as an appropriate advanced test; however for 2021 admissions the GRE requirement has been waived. Programs may encourage or strongly encourage scores still be submitted; please check with your program of application for details. The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609. For helpful information on how to prep for the GRE, click here; for GMAT, here.
TOEFL and IELTS Requirements (International applicants)*
The TOEFL and the IELTS may be waived for an international student who received a degree from an institution in which English is the official language of communication. Contact the admitting program for more information.
For 2021 admission, the following tests are accepted and will be used to assess English language proficiency.
- The TOEFL IBT Home. A minimum score of 90 is required.
- IELTS Indicator. A minimum score of 7 is required.
- Duolingo. A minimum score of 115 is required.
For 2021, Rice will not accept the ITP Plus test to evaluate English language proficiency, but scores/interviews are able to be reported to Rice as a supplemental material via Vericant.
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for any student requiring a visa or whose native language is not English.
- The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609, scores should be sent directly to Rice through the testing organization.
- The TOEFL is administered through the Educational Testing Service, Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6151 USA [telephone (609) 771-7100]. You can also send an e-mail to email@example.com or a center in your native country.
- Test-takers should score at least 90 on the iBT (internet-based) TOEFL, at least 600 on the paper-based TOEFL or score 250 on the computer-based TOEFL.
- Only the best composite TOEFL score is accepted; myBest scores are not accepted. For helpful information on preparing for the TOEFL, click here.
Students whose native language is not English may also use the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
IELTS is owned, developed and delivered through the partnership of the British Council, IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. You can get more information about the IELTS at http://www.ielts.org or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International applicants who choose to take the IELTS should plan to take the Academic IELTS test or, for 2021, the IELTS Indicator.
- Scores can be reported directly to Rice using the name "Rice University Graduate Admissions."
- For students who choose to take the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7.
- For helpful tips on preparing for the IELTS, click here.
For 2021: Duolingo
The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for only $49. The test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with [institution name] when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session.
- Applicants to Rice must earn at least a 115 on the Duolingo English Test.
- To prepare or take the test, click here.
*Please allow 2-4 weeks for all scores to be reported to Rice. For more information on score reporting, click here.
• Each graduate program determines whether applicants have enough preparation to enter a given program, emphasizing the quality of a candidate's preparation rather than a particular academic program completed or credits earned. There may be additional requirements from the program such as a statement of purpose, reference letters, etc.
• Applicants for admission to graduate study must contact the appropriate program for additional requirements. A menu of departments with graduate programs can be found here.