In general, applicants should have at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average, or the equivalent, in their undergraduate work.
GRE & GMAT Scores*
Some departments at Rice University require scores on the aptitude portion of the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) as an appropriate advanced test. The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609. For helpful information on how to prep for the GRE, click here; for GMAT, here.
For 2022 admissions, Rice generally is not requiring the GRE. However, individual degree programs have the option of recommending, strongly recommending, or requiring the general GRE. See more.
English Language Proficiency Requirements (International applicants)*
Applicants who are foreign nationals and those whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency. The English Language Proficiency Requirements for Rice University can be found here.
The following language proficiency tests are accepted by Rice graduate programs and will be used to assess English language proficiency. Please note the below scores are the minimum requirement, though some program requirements will be higher.
- The TOEFL IBT Home. A minimum score of 90 is required
- IELTS Indicator. A minimum score of 7 is required.
- Duolingo. A minimum score of 115 is required.
- An application fee of $85 is generally required. Some programs do waive this requirement. See more. Additionally, for 2023 admissions, the application fee for doctoral programs is waived for those residing in Texas or bordering states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico (this does not include programs in the Jones School of Business.)
- Each graduate program determines whether applicants have enough preparation to enter a given program, emphasizing the quality of a candidate's preparation rather than a particular academic program completed or credits earned. There may be additional requirements from the program such as a statement of purpose, reference letters, etc.
- Applicants for admission to graduate study must contact the appropriate program for additional requirements. A menu of departments with graduate programs can be found here.