In general, applicants should have at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average, or the equivalent, in their undergraduate work.
GRE & GMAT Scores*
Usually, departments at Rice University require scores on the aptitude portion of the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) as an appropriate advanced test; however for 2021 admissions the GRE requirement has been waived. Programs may encourage or strongly encourage scores still be submitted; please check with your program of application for details. The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609. For helpful information on how to prep for the GRE, click here; for GMAT, here.
TOEFL and IELTS Requirements (International applicants)*
The TOEFL and the IELTS may be waived for an international student who received a degree from an institution in which English is the official language of communication. Contact the admitting program for more information.
• The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for any student requiring a visa or whose native language is not English.
• The ETS Reporting code for Rice University is 6609.
• The TOEFL is administered through the Educational Testing Service, Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6151 USA [telephone (609) 771-7100]. You can also send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or a center in your native country.
• Test-takers should score at least 90 on the iBT (internet-based) TOEFL, at least 600 on the paper-based TOEFL or score 250 on the computer-based TOEFL.
• Only the best composite TOEFL score is accepted; myBest scores are not accepted.
• During the Coronavirus pandemic, the TOEFL ITP Plus will be accepted to assess English language proficiency. A minimum score of 620 is expected for admitted applicants.
• For helpful information on preparing for the TOEFL, click here.
• Students whose native language is not English may also use the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
• IELTS is owned, developed and delivered through the partnership of the British Council, IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. You can get more information about the IELTS at http://www.ielts.org or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• International applicants who choose to take the IELTS should plan to take the Academic IELTS test.
• Scores can be reported directly to Rice using the name "Rice University Graduate Admissions."
• For students who choose to take the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7.
• For helpful tips on preparing for the IELTS, click here.
*Please allow 2-4 weeks for all scores to be reported to Rice. For more information on score reporting, click here.
• Each graduate program determines whether applicants have enough preparation to enter a given program, emphasizing the quality of a candidate's preparation rather than a particular academic program completed or credits earned. There may be additional requirements from the program such as a statement of purpose, reference letters, etc.
• Applicants for admission to graduate study must contact the appropriate program for additional requirements. A menu of departments with graduate programs can be found here.