Advanced Degrees Convocation
The Advanced Degree Convocation is a special ceremony held to recognize and celebrate our graduating Master's students. All recipients of a master's degree (other than those participating in the Jones School Investiture ceremony), an Artist's Diploma in Music, and Bachelor's of Architecture are invited to participate in the ceremony.
Tentative: 2022 Ceremony: Friday, May 6, 9 - 10:30 a.m.
Tudor Fieldhouse (Building 14 on Campus Map)
Reception to follow in the Grand Foyer of the Alice Pratt Brown Hall (Building 44 on Campus Map). Please enter though the East Lobby near the Turrell Skyspace.
Information for Students
- Important Dates for Students
Please make note of all deadlines.
Mid Feb. - Mid April: Register for Advanced Degrees Convocation
Mid-April: Deadline to order regalia.
May 6: Advanced Degrees Convocation for Class of 2022. Participants are asked to arrive at 8 a.m. Procession begins promptly at 9 a.m.
May 7: Commencement. Candidates line up at 7:30 A.M. Procession begins promptly at 8 a.m. For more information see the commencement schedule of events: https://commencement.rice.edu/schedule-ceremonies
- Degree Conferral Checklist
Are you ready for graduation? Find out here.
- Registration Details
- Go to HTTPS://GRADCONVOCATION.RICE.EDU/, log in using your Rice net ID and password. Please read each screen of the registration site carefully.
- Indicate whether or not you will attend Commencement.
- Indicate whether or not you will participate in the Advanced Degrees Convocation.
- Enter information on how to correctly pronounce your name. Phoenetic pronunciations of American English can be found HERE, however we encourage you to write out your name as you've explained it to others.
- Indicate how many guests you expect to attend the Advanced Degrees Convocation and request special accommodations for yourself or your guests if needed for the ceremony. After you register you will receive email confirmations regarding Commencement and the Advanced Degrees Convocation. PLEASE NOTE: Guests will not need tickets to attend the Advanced Degrees Convocation.
- After you register, you will receive an email confirmation regarding Commencement and the Advanced Degrees Convocation.
If you have any registration questions or concerns, please email email@example.com or call the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at 713-348-4002.
- Plenary Commencement Ceremony
See the University website regarding Saturday's Plenary Commencement Ceremony. Participation in either the Advanced Degrees Convocation or Commencement is optional.
For all questions not addressed in this FAQ or on our convocation pages, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Guests
- Timeline of events
Doors will open at 8 a.m., and guests should be seated no later than 8:50 a.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis and guests are advised to arrive early. Guests do NOT need tickets to attend the Advanced Degree Convocation.
Guests do NOT need tickets to attend the Advanced Degree Convocation. Tickets are only required for doctoral convocation.
- Special Needs Seating
Degree candidates should indicate any special accommodations when registering for the Advanced Degrees Convocation.
Free parking is available in West Lots 2, 3, 4, and 5, adjacent to the Alice Pratt Brown building (see campus map). The closest accessible parking is available in West Lot 4. You may also drop off guests with accessibility needs outside Tudor Fieldhouse via the Inner Loop (suggested drop off location are bus stop 4 on the campus map).
- Webcast Information
The Advanced Degree Convocation is usually available to watch live. The ceremony will also be professionally recorded. After commencement, the videographer will contact each graduate at their permanent address on file with the registrar with information about purchasing a recording of the ceremony.
A photographer will typically take still photographs of each graduate. After commencement, the photographer will contact each graduate at the address on file with the Registrar’s Office with information about how you may purchase photographs. To learn more about purchasing professional photographs and videotapes of the ceremony, visit the Rice University Commencement website.
- Text Updates
A special Commencement communication system has been set-up to provide students, families, and guests with the most up-to-date information (including Inclement Weather updates). To opt in to this system, please text 2022RICEGRAD to 888-777. You may opt out at any time by replying STOP. For help, reply HELP. Standard messaging and data rates may apply.