The Rice University Doctoral Convocation is an occasion of special recognition for doctoral candidates to share with their family and friends. During the ceremony, each candidate's thesis director is announced, and the faculty member of the student's choice places the doctoral hood over the head of the doctoral candidate, signifying successful completion of the doctoral degree and full membership in the community of scholars.
Congratulations to our 2022 Doctoral Graduates!
Details about Future Convocation Ceremonies Will Be Available Here
Information for Students
- Important Dates for Students
Please make careful note of all deadlines. Specific dates will be announced closer to convocation.
- Late March – mid-April: REGISTER FOR THE DOCTORAL CONVOCATION.
- Mid-April: Deadline to reserve doctoral regalia. More information HERE.
- Mid-April: Last day to update your registration status for the Doctoral Convocation and make changes to your dissertation information and select hooding faculty.
- May 6: Doctoral Convocation. Procession begins promptly at 10:30 A.M.
- May 7: Commencement. Candidates line up at 7:30 A.M. The procession begins promptly at 8:30 A.M.
- Doctoral Graduation Checklist
Are you ready for graduation? Find out here.
- Ticketing & Registration for Convocation
- Go to HTTPS://GRADCONVOCATION.RICE.EDU, log in using your Rice net ID and password. Please read each screen of the registration site carefully. Indicate whether or not you will attend Commencement.
- Indicate whether or not you will participate in the Doctoral Convocation.
- Enter information on how to correctly pronounce your name. Phonetic pronunciations of American English can be found HERE, however we encourage you to write out your name as you've explained it to others.
- Request special accommodations for yourself or your guests if needed for the ceremony. After you register you will receive email confirmations regarding Commencement and the Doctoral Convocation.
- PLEASE NOTE: Guests will not need tickets to attend the Doctoral Convocation.
If you have any registration questions or concerns, please email GRADCONVOCATION@RICE.EDU or call the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at 713-348-4002.
Full regalia is required for participants in the Doctoral Convocation (doctoral graduates and faculty). Regalia should be ordered (for rental) from the Rice Campus Store.
For more information, please call the bookstore at 713-348-2039. Doctoral graduates can read the convocation logistical instructions prior to the ceremony.
Please see full instructions here. Doctoral candidates and faculty hooders are asked to arrive at Tudor Hall at 9:30 a.m. in their regalia. Graduates and faculty will need to have a cap, gown and hood when you arrive for the ceremony. Marshals and staff will be available to assist you in preparation and with the marching order. Faculty hooders will march with and sit next to their first student to be hooded.
- Plenary Commencement
See the University website regarding plenary commencement. Participation in either the Doctoral Convocation or Plenary Commencement is optional.
- Ceremony Text Updates
A special Commencement communication system has been set-up to provide students, families, faculty and staff with the most up-to-date information (including Inclement Weather updates). To opt in to this system, please text 2022RICEGRAD to 888-777. You may opt out at any time by replying STOP. For help, reply HELP. Standard messaging and data rates may apply.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Guests
- Timeline of Events
- Tickets are not required for guests at the Doctoral Convocation.
- Seating is typically on a first-come, first serve basis and guests are advised to arrive early.
- Special Needs Seating
Guests with special seating needs will be accommodated with prior arrangements. Please, indicate any special accommodations when you register on the Doctoral Convocation Registration website.
Free parking is available in West Lots 2, 3, 4, and 5, adjacent to the Tudor Field House. The closest accessible parking is available in West Lot 4 (see campus map).
- Watch Online
The Doctoral Convocation will be available to watch live at https://commencement.rice.edu/video/doctoral. The ceremony will also be professionally recorded. After commencement, the videographer will contact each graduate at their permanent address on file with the registrar with information about purchasing a recording of the ceremony.
- Professional Photographer
A photographer will typically take still photographs of each graduate being hooded. After commencement, the photographer will contact each graduate at the address on file with the Registrar’s Office with information about how you may purchase photographs. To learn more about purchasing professional photographs and videotapes of the ceremony, visit the Rice University Commencement website.
- Ceremony Translations
Translations are available in several languages for the families and friends of our doctoral graduates. Additional languages may be requested before April 13th.
- Text Updates
A special Commencement communication system has been set-up to provide students, families, and guests with the most up-to-date information (including Inclement Weather updates). To opt in to this system, please text 2022RICEGRAD to 888-777. You may opt out at any time by replying STOP. For help, reply HELP. Standard messaging and data rates may apply.