In June 2015 the United States and Pakistan established an Education, Science and Technology Working Group (ESTWG) under the Bilateral Strategic Dialogue. During the official visit of the Prime Minister of Pakistan to meet with President Obama and other US officials on October 22, 2015 the two leaders discussed the proposal to establish US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and directed their respective governments to intensify their cooperation in this important framework to achieve the ambitious priority targets of developing high level human capital envisioned in Pakistan's policy document Vision 2025.
According to the Plan, ten thousand (10,000) Pakistani scholars will join US universities in next ten years as an effort of the Government of Pakistan to train its faculty resources in identified subject areas.
As Phase-I, 1500 scholarships will be financed through Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) and the project has been approved in ECNEC, held on Jan 25, 2017.
Below is the list of critically needed thrust areas and disciplines of studies based on the HEC survey and planned growth priorities of Vision 2025:
Arts & Humanities; Design & Media; Water Resources & Energy, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, Business Sciences, Agriculture & Food security, Veterinary Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Emerging Technology, Nano-Technology, Computers, Medical & Allied Health Sciences, Bio-Technology, Telecommunications, Human-made Materials, Robotics, Microelectronics.
- Pakistani/AJK nationals
- Candidates having an MS/M.Phil. Degree (18 years of education) from HEC recognized universities
- Candidates with 4-years Bachelor Degree (16 years of education), eligible for direct admission in Ph.D. programs at US Universities
- Age limit: maximum 40 years for regular faculty & researchers of public sector universities/R&D organizations, and 35 years for all others
- Has acquired valid & acceptable GRE & TOEFL scores required for admission in US Universities
- Scholars who have already secured admission or those enrolled in PhD program in top 235 US Universities & 23 University Systems may also apply for scholarship
- Has an active commitment to serve universities/R&D organizations in Pakistan after the completion of studies.