Graduate stipends are distributed semi-monthly through the Rice payroll system. For payroll purposes, the fall semester begins on August 16th, first payday on August 30th; the spring semester begins on January 1st, first payday on January 15th. The last paycheck for the spring semester is issued on May 15th.
If you will be receiving a stipend through your department, these must be completed in order for your check to be released on the appropriate payday:
You must complete your I-9, presenting original documents to the Payroll Office.
- Fellowship recipients are not considered employees; therefore, the I-9 requirement does not apply to them. These individuals will only complete I-9 after they receive an offer letter regarding a Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant position.
- Link to I-9 Student Guidelines (Rice University)
- Link to I-9 form (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- You must be registered full-time (at least 9 hours per term) for the current semester in which you are receiving a student stipend.
If you have not submitted to Payroll a W-4 tax form, you will still receive pay, but taxes will be withheld at the highest rate.
Link to W-4 form (IRS)
- Your department must have submitted your payroll authorization form by the payroll deadline.
For pay periods, see the Student Payroll Calendars on the Controller's website. Graduate stipends are paid on the HR payroll. When you arrive on campus, you will be able to sign up for direct deposit of your paychecks and suppression of paper check stubs. Click here for more information.
For specific questions about your stipend not answered here, please contact your department graduate administrator.